I'm a fan of Dell PCs, recently I've been buying $299 (or less) computers from the Dell Outlet. They say these are refurbished, but I think they are brand new.
Here are things I did to "un-Dell" the most recent Dell purchased, spending an hour or so going through Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs:
- Remove AOL
- Remove Dell Media Experience
- Remove Dell Picture Studio
- Remove Earthlink Setup Files
- Remove Get High Speed Internet
- Remove Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album
- Remove Jasc Paint Shop Pro Studio, Dell Edition
- Remove Java 2 Runtime Environment (too obnoxious)
- Remove Learn2 Player
- Remove McAfee Personal Firewall Plus (too obnoxious; I think it is hilarious that upon my explicit uninstall, they warn "Your computer might be at risk. Click here to fix this problem." -- excuse me?
- Remove McAfee SecurityCenter (too obnoxious)
- Remove Musicmatch Jukebox (prefer iTunes)
- Remove MyWay Search Assistant
- Remove NetZeroInstallers
- Remove PhotoClick
- Remove QuickBooks Simple Start Special Edition
- Remove RealPlayer Basic (will never forgive their spyware sins)
- Remove ViewPoint Media Player
- Remove WordPerfect Office
It is mind boggling to find software I did not ask about which can take several minutes just to uninstall. I can't imagine how piggy these things would be if I actually used them.